When it comes to yoga, you have plenty of outfits to choose from such as yoga pants and the like. However, when it comes to Pilates, you’re left with that “I have nothing to wear” feeling. So what should you wear during your Pilates training sessions?
Before we detail the right clothes to wear, let’s first look at what not to wear to a Pilates session. This will better outline the “what to wear” section and make picking an outfit easier.
Note: My girlfriend was consulted when writing this guide. Heed her advice when it comes to certain undergarments, material, and brands.
What NOT to Wear
It’s important to remember that you’re doing Pilates to exercise not to worry about your clothing. If clothing gets in the way of being able to do the exercises, it’s a bad option.
Here is a short guide of what NOT to wear during a Pilates class:
- Showing your cleavage is somewhat of a “girl” specific thing, but keep in mind that Pilates exercises involve a lot of movement and what once was a little bit of cleavage could turn into a lot fairly quickly. Opt for a shirt that’s not too revealing to keep prying eyes at bay. Whatever you choose, make sure that it is comfortable to wear and everything stays put while you move around.
- Choose clothing that looks fashionable, but also comfortable to wear too. There’s nothing worse than doing back exercises and you suddenly feel that itchy fabric and embellishment pressing against your back. That is definitely a no-go.
- For pants, opt for a pair that is not too fit and not too loose since you will be moving all the time when doing Pilates exercises. Gaucho pants may look fashionable but they are too flowy to be qualified as Pilates apparel. What’s worse is that the fabric can be easily caught on the springs of the equipment during your training session.
- Additionally, avoid wearing wind breaker type materials as they tend to be slippery and might slip down past your bottom while moving around.
- It depends on you if you want to wear shorts or not during a Pilates session. For women who are comfortable with revealing their legs, then let them out. Keep in mind that whenever you wear shorts, opt for a pair that is long enough so as not to reveal your butt cheeks.
- Lastly, undergarments matter! Don’t be fooled by those Victoria Secret models that wear undergarments with metal designs underneath. Whenever you wear these types of underwear during any type of exercise you’re creating a recipe for disaster.
- In case of bras, opt for a sports bra since they allow you move, roll, and jump freely without worrying about metal stabbing your bust.
What to Wear to Pilates
Now that we are done with the negative side of things, it’s time to talk about what to wear to your Pilate sessions. Comfort is key and the more comfortable you are with your clothing, the more you can do.
- When it comes to pants, we highly recommend the “Lucy” brand as they use comfortable fabric for their apparel, especially pants. Not only do they let you choose your desired pant size, but also the style and length as well. You can also have the best of both worlds when it comes to comfort-ability and durability.
- For tops and bra, we highly recommend “Nike” if you want durability at its finest. They also fit nicely and are overall better than traditional sports bra. If you’re a lady that wants extra support, some of their sports bra are specifically designed for traditional bras to be worn underneath without looking bulky.
- In terms of undergarments, opt for a material that is comfortable to wear and lets you seamlessly move without feeling the cloth being sucked to your butt checks. Remember, it’s always ideal to choose material over looks when comfort is paramount. Calvin Klein’s undergarments hit the spot when it comes to Pilates. They fit well, stay in place, and feel great overall.
- When it comes to shirts, opt for the brand Lululemon as they are known to have a vast collection of shirts that are perfect for exercising. You have an endless selection of colors, and each shirt is made to fit perfectly to your body type.